Little One’s Day Out (LODO) is a preschool that is a ministry of Columbia United Church of Christ (CUCC). The mission of Little One’s Day Out is to support families in their children’s education and nurture children in a Christian Setting.
All parents want to equip their children with the skills and knowledge to be happy and successful. Little One’s Day Out will support families in this endeavor. Research shows that participation in a preschool experience increases kindergarten readiness for children. This program is designed to give children the opportunity to build loving relationships with children and adults who are not family members. Therefore, the goals that drive our program are:
· Maintain a routine of activities, including child-directed play and structured/teacher led activities.
· Provide supervised peer interaction.
· Cultivate strong, positive relationships among children as well as between child and teacher.
· Provide a safe environment conducive to learning.
Principles of Christianity that Guide Our Program
· We know God best through Jesus, who in his teaching and actions expressed God’s love for all people.
· Though all people are created in God’s image, God values the uniqueness of each person and the diversity of the humankind.
· Because God loves all people and values their uniqueness, as Christians we have an obligation to respect the dignity and care for all people.
Principles of Child Development that Guide Our Program
· Children learn through relationships and play.
· Children learn by doing.
· Learning and development occurs in the domains of gross/fine motor, social/emotional, language, and cognitive skills. Learning in all domains is interrelated.